"I believe that the only courage anybody ever needs is the courage to follow your own dreams." - Oprah Winfrey
YouTube has seen a meteoric rise of localised content on its platform. “Localised content is the future of YouTube and we are making sure that we do everything we can to aid the creator community. Bengali content has seen a monumental rise in recent times and has seen triple digit growth rates in watch-times”, said Satya Raghavan, director, content partnerships, YouTube India. The growth rate and watch time of Bengali content on YouTube has grown in triple digits over the last few years. So, it’s also a great time to be a creator in Bengal. In fact, out of the 1,200 channels which have over a million subscribers, 30 are in Bengali. Moreover, there are 65 more channels with 500,000 to one million subscribers. Another interesting statistic is that there are two channels crossing the million subscribers mark every week, so the 65 channels from Bengal have a great chance of becoming millionaires soon.
In the first episode of TuriyaTalks Season 5, we had an opportunity to discuss the theme “Journey of a Bengali YouTuber” with our Guest of Honour Mr. Rahul Dey, one of the Top Bengali YouTuber. The interview, hosted by Sandhya Sutodia, encompassed the reminiscence of his YouTube career and exclusive suggestions for upcoming content creators, especially for aspiring YouTubers.
Some insights incorporated from the interview are as follows:
- Passion is the primary key to success in YouTube. If an individual is passionate enough to showcase his talent, YouTube is the best platform to exhibit himself.
- An individual should always create content in a unique way compared to other creators for making it interesting to the audience and to stand out from the crowd.
- Initially, he was without a team so he had to play different roles by himself, giving rise to the format of ‘vines’ in his videos.
- He garners his ideas for his videos from the ongoing incidents in his surroundings, especially in West Bengal.
- He believes that in the near future, the content created in Bengali, especially YouTube videos will be among the most critically acclaimed in India.
He concluded by unravelling the importance of put social messages in the videos which will benefit the viewers or the audience. The social messages must be wrapped with entertainment materials like comedy and roasts.
(Watch full interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDfU1p-009w&t=222s)